Sunday, December 5, 2010

Women and Cell Phones

Good Morning!

It is a beautiful morning in Ottawa. Bright sun, tiny snowflakes and crispy air remind us that the winter is near. Shopping malls full of festive decorations, big line ups and no place to park remind us that Christmas holidays are near.

So, since we are talking about Christmas holidays we have to talk about presents. And I believe that one of the most popular presents are cell phones. There are so many and they constantly get updated. And when they get updated we want ours to be upgraded, that means a new phone. The best part is that there are many outlets and service providers that are starving for your attention.

As a current woman, can you imagine yourself not having a cell phone? Not me! I'll be lost without it! Never mind just missing calls. What about emails, SMS, all the social media, GPS. If my phone does not ring, vibrate or buzz in 30 minutes I start to worry. We now able to do mobile banking and mobile shopping. I cannot wait to see what's coming our way next!

Now, watching news this morning I heard a story about cell phone ban for single women in Northern Indian Village. That really upset me. What's that all about? Women being discriminated again!

It is very sad to see. India is considered to be one of the biggest democratic societies in the world. It's great to see that many cultural and religious believes in India are still followed. But I very strongly disagree with arranged marriages. And now these marriages lead to a ban of cell phones and worst, beheading of women. Talking about health issues developing from the use of cell phones, how about loosing your head! Ouch!!!!

Yes, it's Northern India, very close to Pakistan and we know that Pakistan is very religious. But common! It's 2010! There is so much progress! India is one of the biggest emerging markets since mid 1990s! How long will it take to stop discrimination of women.

You know, everyday I catch myself complaining about some little insignificant issue in my life. But with the news like this I have to remind myself how lucky I am. How lucky I am to be alive, how lucky I am to have a roof over my head and food in my stomach, how lucky I am to have a fantastic loving family, how lucky I am to freely share my concerns with other people.

So, I ask you what can we do to resolve this Indian issue? Well, I am not sure how big of an impact we can make in India at this time but we can increase the amount of women with cell phones here in North America to start with. So check out this link and see how you can help. And remember to be gratful for the good things you have in life, even if they are small.

Thank you for your time and support!

Have a fantastic day!

Be ACTIVE! Be INVOLVED! Be a CURRENT WOMAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment