Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Oh, Canada......

Hello, hello.

Chinese New Year Gifts - Chinese Zodiac Symbols - Dragon (Chinese Dragon Symbol)This "life got in the way" business is really trying my patience this year. Oh well, it's just another little challenge. Besides, the New Year, Chinese New Year (Year of the Rabbit), starts tomorrow. So, I'll be looking at this as if January has not really gone yet. You see, that's the way to approach challenges. I am still "in business". There was just a little delay!

Today, I just simply could not resist but talk about Canada. Why? Couple of reasons.

First, it's all that snow we are getting. Ok, I am not in Atlantic Canada but hey, I feel your pain!!! How much more snow is coming your way? It seems that as soon as you dig out there is even more to clean. Ottawa had a record snow fall two years ago. And boy, am I glad I lived in the apartment at that time. All the snow has been cleared by someone else. What a pleasure! I am having a tough time finding the exact amount but I am sure there has been close to two meters so far.

Blame it on the Weather: Strange Canadian Weather FactsSecondly, it's the wonderful temperature. No kidding, -1C on New Years day (all of the snow in Ottawa was gone just in few days) and then -36C couple of weekends ago (all the snow came back and it was not wise to be outside). Sometimes we don't know if the spring is near or the winter is just beginning.

I keep going back to my post "Elegant Winter Boots". I believe that I have proven that it's practically impossible to wear sexy boots in this weather. Well, unless you bring them in your handbag (may be I should talk to "Slip Ons" inventors about that).

Recently I had an interesting experience with someone out of country. Our visitors were here that very cold, -36C, weekend. Now, they have winter with cold weather and snow in their native country but it's not Canada! Our female guest was elegantly dressed and I could not bare to think how cold she must have been. She was very pleased when I offered her one of my warm coats. Eventually we had to buy her a warm coat. Thank God for "End of Season" sales (Really? Is the winter over????).

Winter Sports 2 The Ultimate ChallengeAll this snow and cold temperatures bring me to one interesting subject, is Canada really for me. Well, I had this discussion with many people. As most of you already know I am not a fan of winter. I simply do not do well with cold weather and snow. And older I get worse is my winter tolerance. Yes, I am originally from Russia. And loved winter as a kid: ice skating, tobogganing (invented in Canada by th way), even cross-country ski racing. I used to love going cross-country skiing with my Mom and Dad every weekend. So, what happened. Well, I got older and developed an allergy to cold.

This brings me back to the question if Canada is really for me. I have to admit, it is! It is a wonderful country! It is great to it's residents, there are plenty of opportunities for anyone, and there is plenty of ways to tolerate the cold (you can simply run away to a warm country for a week or two).

I have considered to move to a warm country but as of today have not decided exactly which one. They too have weather problems, rainy season.

The History of the Greatest Canadian Entrepreneurs - Hill and Arden (The History of the World's Greatest...)All in all I find myself very fortunate to live in Canada. Especially as a woman. We have a freedom of speech,freedom of press (even if it has grammatical mistakes), free education (not post-secondary of course), free healthcare, freedom to be whoever you want to be. And here, I am exactly who I want to be.

Despite Canadian winters, at this point in my life I cannot imagine living anywhere but Canada. Thank you Canada for letting me move here.

I think this is enough praise for Canada for one day.

Please let me know if you have any questions about Canada. Also, I'd love to hear about your country and why you love it.

Have a fantastic day! And remember....

Be Active! Be Involved! Be a Current Woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment