Monday, July 25, 2011

How Do We Stop This?

I am very sad, upset and angry. Of course you would like to know what makes me feel this way. I am a very positive, friendly and cheerful person. So, what's up with negativity?

It can be described by one word, SUBSTANCES. Yes, substances. And here is why I feel so negative about them: they take lives away; they destroy families; they rob individuals of childhood, happiness and just normal life, and they rob the world of talent.

As you might have already heard, thanks to substances we lost another talented person, Amy Winehouse. Yes, she was troubled on many levels but she was a huge musical talent. In her short life she amused and entertained us. She reached the top of the musical achievement, Grammy Award. She also paved road to the British artists such as Duffy and Adele.

But let's not forget that she was a daughter, an aunt and a friend. She was a disturbed and vulnerable person. She was an addict. She was addicted to substances. And she succumbed to them at an early age of 27. Another member of Club 27. Who could ever forget the lyrics of "Rehab": "Yes, I've been black but when I come back you'll know, know, know." Yes Amy, you are back on the top but for a wrong reason.

Unfortunately, the faith of many celebrities is similar to Amy's. Here are just a few big names: Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, Janice Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, Brittany Murphy. Ok, some of them were accidental. But we are still talking about abuse.

The names above are the people that are well known. But we should not forget regular people. People that live among us, people that are effected by the substances and people that are effected by the abusers. This could be your family, friends or even just someone you know.

Why should I care? Well, I have been personally effected by this. My family had a share of trouble and few death related to substance abuse. My son lost his father to substance abuse. Everyday when I deal with my son I see more and more of his Dad in him. There are many good things but there is that scary thought at the back of my mind, what if?

This is a very uncomfortable and disturbing feeling and I will not wish it on anyone. I like to be in control and watching people loosing control of their lives is especially difficult for me. But as I've learned over the years you cannot control the addict. Unfortunately, there are only two ways to resolve this, to come to your senses or to die. It is very black and white, there is no grey area.

So, how can we stop this? I do no have an exact answer but I have been educating myself. And from what I've learned many people need to be scared, need to be put in the corner, need to face the consequences and of course need to be shown that they're loved. Not to be enabler, love. We already know that this does not work with everyone but there are those people that still can be saved.

My son is a teenager and it amazes me how many substances kids in high school are exposed to. I was in shock at first but then I did what I always do, I educated myself. I spoke with councilors, I took some courses, I did some reading. Most importantly, I taught my son to be opened with me at all times, tell me the truth no matter what. And it works, some times are more difficult then others ("Mom, I did not want to tell you because you'll freak out") and some times I don't even have to ask, information just pours out.

But I talk, I ask, I watch. I know there is that "bad gene" and it scares me. And yes, my son gets reminders from me about that. I know I cannot control Daniel's life but I know that talking about it will help him. There is no doubt he will try some things, I did when I was younger, but abusing? I hope he knows better.

What about you? Have you dealt with this issue personally? Have you found a solution? Do you have an advise? I'd love to hear from you. We all can learn from each other.

Thank you again Wikipedia. Of yes, don't forget the poll. It is just at the bottom of the page.

Have a safe and wonderful day, and remember....

Be Active! Be Involved! Be a Current Woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment